The “other” Las Vegas is a city that has probably escaped your attention. During a quick half-day stop here in 2016, the colorful personality of this historic New Mexico mountain town drew me in and keeps me coming back.
A quiet and unpretentious little sister to Santa Fe, it is one of my favorite places for shooting film photos, and also happens to be a popular filming location for movies and TV shows. While there are not a lot of flashy tourist attractions in this Las Vegas, the city will appeal to those whose interests include:
- A walkable historic downtown (900 buildings are on the National Historic Register!)
- A really good doughnut, or even better a Pedro’s pastry or biscochito
- An affordably priced 3 star historic hotel
- A friendly local bookstore
- Teddy Rossevelt’s Rough Riders, Wild West outlaws, and railroad history
- Outdoor recreation opportunities in the surrounding Sangre de Christo Mountains
I will be posting more about Las Vegas in the future, but for now…On with the photo tour!
***As with all of my film photos, these images are presented as captured, unedited.*** All of the photos below were shot (by me) over two days on a solo New Mexico road trip in April 2017.
Wander over here for more New Mexico posts.